Upon joining, all members are expected to abide by this code of ethics. Members of SCHSB are held to high standards in their activities within the association, with members, buyers, and other interested contacts.
As a member, I/we pledge to the following code of ethics:
- Use moral integrity in activities related to sheep, farm, and business.
- Practice a high standard of animal care and management.
- Maintain orderly records and clear animal identification to assure correct information to register sheep.
- Register animals which are sound and meet SCHSB breed standards.
- Conduct all sales and purchases with fairness and disclosure, including both willingness and commitment to resolve or replace animals or money for any animal that fails to meet with the sale agreements or in case of rejection for either registration or transfer.
- Guarantee, to the best of my/our knowledge, that all sale animals are in good health and free of known diseases and genetic defects.
- Be prompt in registering and transferring all sheep sold or exchanged.
- Educate customers, members, and others about the benefits of owning St. Croix sheep, SCHSB activities and resources and the place of the breed in the national sheep industry.
- Support the long-term preservation and improvement of the breed.
- Support and uphold the SCHSB by-laws and breed standards.
- Respect fellow SCHSB members with courtesy and lack of division
Termination of Membership
The SCHSB Board of Directors may terminate the membership of an individual for acting in a manner against this code of ethics, falsification of pedigrees, willful misrepresentation, or conduct inimical to the best interests of the SCHSB. The expelled member has the right to appeal this decision before the Board of Directors or petition them by mail. The judgment of the Board of Directors shall be final in all matters pertaining to the above. All evidence covering the expulsion of a member shall be submitted in writing carrying the signature of the writer, together with a sworn statement covering such fraudulent actions or misrepresentation in detail.